Hour of Code is great !
Is it accessible to all Indonesians?
My intuition is that the site is currently not accessible to people who:
- Only speak Indonesian: On the Indonesian language home page, nearly all text is in English.
- Are new to online learning: The user is presented with 23 options to choose from (too many), in no discernible order, no filter, no indication of mobile vs desktop, and no indication of which is best place for a new user to start.
- Are new to coding: The short descriptions use unfamiliar tech words with no flyover tool-tip or glossary.
“Get involved” is translated: https://hourofcode.com/id/promote
“How to” is mostly translated: https://hourofcode.com/id/how-to
1) Talk with Hour of Code partners Microsoft, Clevio & others:
- Determine if the facilitators and/or students have been experiencing the problems noted above.
- Determine the reach of the current activities. (What ages, areas of Indonesia, etc.)
- Determine the impact of the current activities. What percentage of attendees have continued with further lessons? For how long?
2) Create simplified pages to introduce Hour of Code:
- In Indonesian (sorry, also currently in English).
- Categories of users: (Still feels complicated. Need to be able to present very simply.)
- Computer skill: Novice, Competent
- Reading skill: Reader, Non-Reader
- Coding awareness: None, Good (Direct to the main site)
- Age: Sort options by age, low to high
- Platform: Mobile or Desktop
- Minimize choices, with best on the left.
- Glossary to explain the tech terms.
3) Translation Project:
- Recruit Indonesians to join the translation project. (Currently only 12% complete!)
4) Discuss recommendations with Hour Of Code HQ/website team.
Current Hour of Code activities in IndonesiaNotes...
Facebook page managed by Aranggi Soemarjan 1010 followers https://www.facebook.com/hoc.indonesia/
YouTube Channel “Hour of Code Indonesia”:
with 6 videos from 2015: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8MWvX-RMHlabM2TmQcgTHQ
2016: Clevio’s YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3yrhO99ghiLjUfXnX5O1YA/
has more hour of code videos (that should be copied or playlisted on the HoC Channel), such as:
“Presentasi Orientasi Duta Coding” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1izhb_PHQ
“Duta Coding Sekolah – Hour of Code Indonesia 2016” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67pqwpfvycY
31 supports at http://twibbon.com/support/hour-of-code-indonesia
Ektizo http://ektizo.com/wordpress/ (Entire site is in English!)
332 events in 293 locations, but no statistics of date, number of participants, age (although guess by school name), or whether any participants continued learning.
Domain hourofcode.id has expired.
Fundraising Nov 2015:
Presentation by Clevio: https://www.scribd.com/doc/299835955/Panduan-Hour-of-Code-Indonesia
Plenty of news articles of events, such as
https://id.techinasia.com/siswa-indonesia-belajar-coding (Good graphic with stats from Microsoft Indonesia)
http://www.slideshare.net/youldee/hour-of-code-indonesia 2015 slideshow